I am fortunate to live by an AWESOME bakery/deli. When I decided I was going to make this I KNEW I was going to have to find some kick butt bread! I was right! This recipe is easy, yummy, and definitely a crowd pleaser!
I used 1 large and 1 small farm loaf. Texas toast works as well.
6 large eggs
3 cups of milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1. Slice/cube your bread to desired size. I allowed mine to sit out with the bag open for a few hours to stale up a bit. They absorb the liquid better this way!
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and heavy whipping cream if you are using it.
3. Grease a 13×9 baking dish and pour a little of the liquid mixture on the bottom.
4. Because I used bigger pieces, I first dipped them in the liquid before tossing them into the baking dish. When I was done I pours the rest of the liquid on top.
5. Cover with suran wrap and let sit in the fridge, over night is best, but at least an hour minimum.
6. The next morning, preheat the oven to 350. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the top pieces are golden brown and a bit crunchy.
7. Serve hot with syrup, mixed berries, powdered sugar- what ever you love to top your French toast with! YUM!