I’ve never had pumpkin. I have yet to have a pumpkin spiced latte, I don’t eat pumpkin pie. Something about it wigs me out. But my ma made a pumpkin roll and didn’t use the whole can of pumpkin puree. Obviously we had to do SOMETHING with the left overs. Thanks to handy dandy Pinterest, I came across this lovely recipe on A Kitchen Addiction! She titled them Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars. I adjusted the recipe just a TINY bit and didn’t do the frosting. Here is how I did it…
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ C all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
1. Mix all ingredients except the flour together until well blended.
2. Slowly add flour and mix until well incorporated
3. The dough is thick. Do not fear! Press the dough into a baking dish. I used an 8×10. The original recipe suggested a 9×9 or 8×8.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Mine turned out just fine at 15! Poke the center with a knife to check it.
5. Let cool and eat slightly warm.
For the frosting recipe, check out the original blog post at A Kitchen Addiction!
Happy snacking! 🙂